The beautiful, timeless look of hardwood flooring makes it the perfect option for any Plano home. When picking out a specific hardwood style it is important to consider your lifestyle and needs. The Janka Hardness Scale is a great way to think about the durability of hardwood species. Our experts at Floor Coverings International Plano are happy to help you differentiate types of hardwood.
What Is The Janka Hardness Scale?
The Janka Hardness Scale was designed to compare the relative hardness of different species of hardwood floors. The ranking is measured by the force required to embed half the diameter of a .444 inch steel ball into a piece of wood. Determined in pounds-force (lbf), common species of hardwood range from 800 lbf to 2,350 lbf.
While all common hardwood species are durable, those with lower Janka rankings are more prone to scratches and scuffs. If you install a low-ranking hardwood, it is especially important to maintain your hardwood. In high traffic areas of your Plano home, like your living room, an area rug will help protect your hardwood.
Janka Ranking of Popular Hardwoods
If you have an active family and a pet-friendly household, it is especially important to consider the Janka score of your hardwood pick. To help make your selection process easier, consider the Janka ranking of some of the most popular hardwood species:
- Brazilian Cherry – With a ranking of 2,350 lbf, Brazilian cherry is one of the highest-ranking hardwood flooring styles. It has the classic look of traditional cherry, with the bonus of extra durability.
- Hickory – With a ranking of 1,820 lbf, hickory is one of the strongest domestic hardwood species. The knotted design gives a beautiful, distinct appearance.
- Maple – With a ranking of 1,450 lbf, maple has a light grain, perfect for a minimalist style.
- White Oak – With a ranking of 1,360 lbf, white oak is one of the most popular hardwood flooring styles. Ranging in colors from light beige to dark brown, you can are sure the right design for your home.
- Red Oak – With a ranking of 1,290 lbf, red oak has a warm, pinkish hue. It is nearly as popular as white oak and is perfect for any Plano home.
- Walnut – With a ranking of 1,080 lbf, walnut floors are rich in color, adding a layer of elegance to any home.
- Cherry – With a ranking of 995 lbf, cherry is a soft species of hardwood. Despite its low ranking, cherry can still work well in many Plano homes.
Our experts at Floor Coverings International Plano are happy to help you find the perfect hardwood species for your home.
Start in Plano Today!
If you are thinking of installing hardwood flooring in your home, it is important to understand the Janka Hardness Scale. To learn more about different hardwood species, schedule a free, in-home design consultation today! We proudly serve the greater Plano, Allen, Lucas, Parker area.
Photo Credit: © Vadym Andrushchenko